Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Goodnight, World.

I've been working on school work, literally all week, sans my birthday because it was my birthday, and the day after it because I really could no longer take the throbbing- no, the hammering in my head and eye sockets(?) that has been seriously persisting all week.

I am tired, but my grades are ok, and that's what's important. I am seriously wondering how I will be able to work at all with the difficulty of school though. Even the relatively easy things are really hard for me.

I probably just really hate how incredibly useless, and disjointed this Introduction to Two-Dimentional Design book is. The concepts in it are a struggle to understand! I could find meaning in Shakeapeare easier, and I am not made like an English major. The sentence structures are flawless, but the subject matter seems fleeting at best and though grammatically impeccable, are needlessly wordy and pretentious(?) as though the writer/editor just thesaurused-it-up for effect, and thought that the best way to convey a message in a straightforward and practical manner was to make the code hard to decipher. BAD DESIGN AND BAD EXECUTION. Which is incredibly ironic because this is supposed to be a textbook about design and proper and effective execution of design and sending the right message. FREAKING SEMIOTICS 101. This is a textbook about design, but it's still a textbook - which means the content is more important than the avante garde EMPTY SPACES and useless words it's filled up with. The layout is lazy and not very creative though it does implement several of the design principles I've just learned about. The message comes across as detached and sometimes even arbitrary! Sure, the sample pieces are pretty interesting, but for a book supposed to introduce design as a lifestyle of LIFE, ART, COMMUNITY INTERACTION and COMMUNICATION, it is lifeless and flat, only slightly above useless, but well below mediocre, and fails miserably in dissemination of introductory design principles. How do I learn with this? I am so angry that this passed as course material at all! I learned so little from the book.
Thank goodness for the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment